Thursday, April 25, 2013

BOTW - Foals

Let's get one thing straight - when you mix math rock with Oxford England and a lead singer named Yannis, you know you're dealing with Holy Fire.  Like Christopher Columbus, I found this band by chance.  My daughter was playing around with my iPod one day, and must have accidentally purchased one of their songs.  The pure rage of .99 lost turned into pure joy as I listened to the floating vibes.  She was named "Blue Blood"


The Foals have a strange way of mixing familiar riffs into something completely original.  While listening, I often strain trying to make connections with other bands or vocalists (Temper Trap?).  Perhaps this tendancy is informed by their influences.  They site bands like Arthur Russell, Talking Heads, and The Redneck Manifesto.  Personally, I have a hard time drawing the comparison.

I love how they turn an elevator tune into something so violent and exciting.  Their new album, Holy Fire, really is something else.  Like Empire of the Sun, the music should really have a prescribed wardrobe, scandinavian name, and facial hair.  Something like this:



For as vague as I've been, you'd think I was trying to break up with my girlfriend.  The ultimate message - it's not me, it's them.  They are the real deal.  Along with their stellar sound, they have managed to stay obscure enough to retain my attention.  Without reservation, I recommend this band.

Along with Blue Blood, check out these songs:

Late Night:

My Number:


Bad Habit (personal favorite):


2 comments:

  1. Blue Blood is great - really enjoyed it! I would agree with you though, Bad Habit is my favorite of these songs you posted.

    I'm hearing a lot of Police in a couple of these songs, and then the Temper Trap.

    They are very good - excited to see them in concert with Surfer Blood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I LOVE THIS BAND! Give your daughter a big kiss for me!

    Don't you hate the Police?

    ReplyDelete